Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Finale! Whiteface & Esther (9/11/10)


One last hike to complete the journey to become an Adirondack 46'er! It has been a blast the past 16 months as I've enjoyed amazing vistas, beautiful forests, pretty flora and fauna, great company and camaraderie and physical and mental challenges. I have been blessed with an absolutely perfect day to finish on Whiteface with. The temps will top out around 70 and nothing but blue sky and sun. I will finish with a group of hiking friends, many of which I have had the pleasure of sharing the journey with in previous hikes, and my dad and dad's friend who is a 46'er will meet me on the top to help celebrate and enjoy the accomplishment.

We started off thinking of hiking out of the reservoir trailhead, but instead end of starting from the trailhead near the weather observatory. It knocks a few miles off and the group likes that, lol. The first real climb reminds me of climbing the Macomb slide, steep and rocky scree, that goes on for a good long time. We are all huffing and puffing and sweating by the time we merge with the main trail. The trail to the top of Whiteface is certainly an interesting one. It's not one of pristine untouched nature, as you run across alot of ski resort reminders, but nevertheless its still beautiful Adirondack trail. And you still have to work for it! At close to 4000' of gain, it's no joke. When we hit the intersection with the herd path for Esther we took a quick break to snack and get everyone caught up. The path over to the summit of Esther is pretty level and easy, kinda like a walk in the woods. Over and back we go, and one more high peak to show for it. A little further up the main trail and we cross a newly cleared ski lift trail. Once above that, the trail makes it's final push up to the road wall, and then a good rock/alpine scramble to the top. I am huffing and puffing a little bit, but at this point being so close to the finish line, I charge ahead and sprint the last little bit to the adulation of my dad on the summit. WOOHOO!!! I just finished my ADK 46! What an amazing feeling. :) I take some time to enjoy the moment, and pose for lots of photos. Then it's time to eat lunch, I'm starving haha. There's no better summit lunch than a PB&J sandwich. Only difference is this time I get to wash it down with a little champagne! We all enjoy a good long time on top, then begin the descent back to the vehicles. I savor the feat with my fellow hikers back at the cars and change out of my hiking boots and let off a big smile...

No comments:

Post a Comment