Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Haystack, #44 (9/8/10)




One last hike before the finale. I was glad it worked out that I was able to save Haystack for my second to last hike. I hear so many people say it is their favorite high peak. I was hoping to be able to do this hike a week earlier and make it an overnight where I stayed at the John's Brook Lodge, but that didn't work out so I just ended up making it a out and back one day trip. One last solo hike and it started off with some scattered rain showers. It was suppose to clear and I was praying that it would because I know that the views from atop Haystack are amazing. I made great time getting back to Slant Rock in less than 3 hours and the rain had stopped and the sky cleared. There was a few good rock scrambles to be had, on the Range trail approach to the Haystack split, but they went fine, no issues. I absolutely love the view of Haystack and Little Haystack as you approach them! It's such a cool visual. As I descended towards the base of Little Haystack I spotted the only other person I would see this day. They ascent up Little Haystack had me breathing heavy but when I got to the top the views made it all worth it. Knowing I was so close to Haystack itself, I pushed on, down the steep back side of Little Haystack, over and up the last pitch and to the summit. Wow! What an amazing 360 degree view! Again, the hype lived up to it's claim. I enjoyed lunch on top and didn't want to leave. I wish I could have enjoyed the view longer, but alas there was still eight miles to go to get back to the Jeep. The journey back went along fairly well as treks back out can go. I think all said and done, the round trip was done in eight hours, so I made great time! What a superb experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment